- Ready in: 40 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: very easy
- kcal: 473
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs, bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch spring onions cut crosswise, in 2 cm pieces
- 8x 30 cm or 16x 20 cm bamboo skewers, soaked for 1 hour
- 1 cup saki
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- SIDS SALT & PEPPER to taste
Heat the grill. Thread chicken and spring onions pieces onto the skewers, alternately.
SAUCE: In a small pot combine the saki, mirin, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, sugar and soy sauces. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce is reduced by about one quarter.
Grill the skewers for 2 minutes. Brush with sauce and turn, brush with sauce on the other side. Grill for 5-8 minutes more, brushing with sauce every 2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and glazed.
Serve yakitori with SIDS SALT & PEPPER to sprinkle on top.